Its been a wild weekend for weather in the UK and I am in need of comfort food and this soup certainly hits the mark on that score, using fresh local juicy carrots, a touch of warming ginger and the gorgeous smoky warmth of maple syrup this is a soup equivalent of a warm fluffy blanket.
Maple syrup is a natural product and I would love to go tapping maple trees but I don't think we can grow the right type of trees in UK, I have even found a website that tells you how to carry out the process.
On with recipe !
What you need
- 5 medium sized carrots, peeled and chopped into batons
- 1 white onion ,peeled- cut in chunks
- 1 inch piece of fresh ginger, peeled and cut into match sticks
- 2 cloves of garlic, peeled but left whole
- 1-2 tbsp sunflower oil
- 2 tbsp maple syrup
- 500ml vegetable stock
- Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Chives to garnish
What you do
- Pre heat the oven to 200c
- Place all the vegetables and ginger in a roasting tin and toss with the oil and maple syrup
- Bake for about 45 minutes until the vegetables are slightly caramelised
- Allow to cool slightly and place in a suitably sized saucepan, add the stock
- Blitz with a hand held blender until smooth
- Bring the soup to a gentle simmer and season to taste.
- Serve when piping hot, garnished with snipped chives.
We hope you enjoy the recipe, we did if you'd like to leave a comment then please do so below. We love reading your comments.