Tuesday 19 August 2014

Blackberries and rose geranium crumble


When the blackberries are starting to ripen on our generous bush in the garden I know that summer is starting to come to a close, crumble is wonderful pudding at all times of year and is liked by most visitors whether served hot or cold. It can be infinitely varied depending on the fruit used under the crumbly crunchy topping. In this recipe we combine juicy blackberries with the fragrant rose geranium to give a slightly perfumed compote.

The combination came about as I wondered what recipes I could use my beautifully fragrant scented geranium leaf plants in, after all I had attar of roses, orange fizz, pink capitatum (lime scented) and Lady of Plymouth (rose mint scented) to try. 



I obtained my scented leaf geraniums from Otter Farm, home to Mark Diacono one time gardener at River Cottage and now Climate Change farmer, Otter Farm has a fantastic range of seeds and plants for sale for the more adventurous smallholder.

Since recently converting to gluten free I thought I'd have a go at making a gluten free crumble mixture, this recipe is great served with yogurt, cream or custard. The mixture will also store well in the fridge in a sealed container so you can whip a quick dessert in a flash, just combining with what ever fruit you have to hand.

What you need to make the scented compote
  • Blackberries 
  • A few rose scented geranium leaves
  • A drop of water
  • 1/2 weight of fruit in sugar (caster)

To make the compote
  • In a pan add the blackberries, sugar, geranium leaves and a drop of water, bring to a gentle simmer until the blackberries are softened then allow to cool. Leave the leaves in the pan with the fruit compote until cold so the flavours have time to infuse.
  • Once cold remove leaves and spoon into ramekins
To make the crumble, you will need
  • 200g Gluten free flour 
  • 100g Softened butter
  • 100g soft brown sugar
  • 50g  Gluten free Oats (if tolerated)


In a stand mixture mix all crumble ingredients until you have a crumbly mixture



  • Now top the ramekins with the crumble mixture 




  • Place in the oven at 180c on a baking tray and bake for 20 - 25 minutes until golden and the juices are rising from the berries.



  • Serve hot or cold with or without cream or custard



Lucky for us most of the ingredients can be sourced from the garden and every year we have  ample quantities of lovely berries so for me this is pretty frugal dish using what we have at hand. For that reason I am linking up to No Waste Challenge, hosted this month by I'd much rather bake than and created by Elizabeths Kitchen and also to Shop Local also created by Elizabeths Kitchen.


shop-local-badge

And Credit crunch munch crreated by Fuss Free Flavours and Fab Food for all , hosted this month by Elizabeths Kitchen.

Credit-Crunch-Munch-


This post is also being linked to The Great British Blackberry Recipe Round Up with Lavender and Lovage and Farmersgirl Kitchen

                                                   

9 comments:

MuchRatherBake said...

Ooo yes please! Extra crumble and custard for me. Though I can just picture one of these little pots with a scoop of vanilla ice cream on top.

Fab Food 4 All said...

Gosh I ve never come across scented geranium leaves but they sound fabulous! Your crumbles look divine, I can't have enough blackbwrries:-)

Elizabeth said...

These are absolutely stunning! What gorgeous little works of art :) Thank you for sharing with Credit Crunch Munch, Shop Local and the no waste food challenge

Rachel Walker said...

These are SO pretty. I love the rose geranium too - my mum adds scented geranium leaves to apple compote for morning porridge, and it's DELICIOUS!

Gluten Free Alchemist said...

What an lovely crumble. I had no idea you could eat geranium leaves and I don't know about you, but I think GF crumble tastes much better than the wheat flour version!

LinziB said...

I agree gf crumble tastes much better, it's more crunchy and crumbly. Your blog is amazing, one of my favourites

Unknown said...

Saw this over at Elizabeth's Kitchen Diary - it caught my eye right away! Love fruit with rose geranium and this sounds amazing.

Janice said...

Nothing quite like it, especially with some luscious custard. Thanks for another fab recipe for The Great British Blackberry Recipe Round Up.

Emmyw said...

What beautiful photos. You've taken the humble crumble and made it something truly special! I'll have mine with a dollop of clotted cream thanks.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...