Sunday 9 March 2014

Date sweetened gluten free brownies

These are amazing, trust me they are, purely fruit sweetened, naturally gluten free and very easy to make ( well as long as you have a decent food processor). I first spotted this recipe when it was shared by Jamie Oliver on Facebook, intrigued I popped over to the website only to find that the recipe originated from Elana Amsterdam  of Elana's pantry, one of my favourite American bloggers.

                   

In the last couple of weeks since discovering this recipe I must have made them at least half a dozen times, whipped up in about 45 minutes start to finish they are great and make a fabulous addition to any lunch box. I have now taken to bulk buying dates so I always have the ingredients in so I can whip up a batch if the mood so takes me, the recipe is rich in fibre, antioxidants and low in fat too.

I also a little bit addicted to using coconut oil in baking and this recipe being paleo in origin uses this ingredient too, you can't taste it but it seems to make your bakes more bouncy, its pricy but well worth the investment. Also please ensure you use a good quality dark chocolate so that you get the best antioxidant boost possible from your bake.



What you need
  • 200g Dark chocolate (a good % of cocoa solids), broken up into squares
  • 1/2 tsp bicarbonate of soda
  • 200g dates (whole stoned or chopped)
  • 3 eggs
  • 1/4 cup coconut oil - melted
  • 1 tbsp vanilla extract
A square cake tin, lined approximately 8" by 8"

What you do 
  • Pre heat the oven to 180c
  • Blitz the chocolate and bicarbonate of soda in your food processor until its the texture of coarse sand
  • Next add the dates and continue to blitz until you are back to the coarse sand texture
  • Add the eggs, coconut oil and vanilla to the procesor and pulse until incorporated
  • Tip into your preprepared tin and smooth level in the tin
  • Bake for 30 -35 minutes until risen and cooked through
  • Cool initially in the tin and then on a wire rack
  • Store in an airtight tin




















I am entering this post in JibberJabberUK Love Cake campaign as this month's theme is "Giving Up" so as this brownie has no flour, no artifical sugar and is low fat its an appropraite entry.

                                               Love Cake logo

And also We Should Cocoa created by Choclette and hosted this month by I'd much rather bake than..., the  theme this month being Coconut, well this recipe includes chocolate and coconut oil so I hope it qualifies.


                                                       

5 comments:

MuchRatherBake said...

Such a clever recipe. I'm always on the look out for gluten free recipes because my housemate is a coeliac and this one is particularly good because it practically counts as one of your five a day!

Janine said...

These look really good! Thanks for sharing the recipe. I never thought of using dates as a sugar substitute in baking.

Jibberjabberuk said...

I'm so impressed these brownies have no flour, sugar or butter in them. The ones I make are very ingredients heavy. I think I'm going to make these and see if my family can spot the difference! Thanks for linking up with this month's Love Cake.

The Lass In The Apron said...

Dates and chocolate are such a delicious pairing. I make chocolate-date cookies all the time, but have never tried brownies. They look absolutely heavenly!

Johanna GGG said...

these look fantastic - must make them for a family get together where a bit of gf baking is always appreciated for the celiacs - though I think they would probably go down just as well for lunch box treats too.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...