I do like to experiment and my deliberations on recipes for the next clandestine cake club meeting have taken me in the direction of this unusual recipe which contains no flour. So hence its gluten free, the cake doesn't rise much and is homely looking but can be spruced up by a liberal sprinkling of icing sugar or cocoa powder. It is also ideal to serve with ice cream, cream, creme fraiche or yoghurt. This is a high protein cake and has no added fats, so all in all its pretty healthy too.
- 1 1/2 cups semi sweet chocolate
- 1 can of chick peas, drained and rinsed ( garbanzo beans)
- 4 eggs
- 3/4 cup of white sugar
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- Preheat oven to 180C , grease and base line a 9" inch springform cake tin.
- Melt your chocolate chips either using a bain marie or microwave.
- Pulse your chick peas in a food processor, now add your eggs and combine.
- Add you sugar and baking powder and blend, ensuring you scrape down the sides to mix well.
- Pour into your prepared cake tin
- Bake for approx 40 minutes until a skewer comes out clean, cool on wire rack.