The theme of the latest Clandestine Cake club is "Full of Beans" in tribute to the name of the venue that the club held its meeting at "Bean Drinking". Now I am not one for the obvious so I quickly discounted the cocoa bean, coffee bean and vanilla bean as the basis of my cake, some deep researching on the internet turned up a couple of interesting possibilities. The recipe called for pinto beans which I didn't have so I substituted a can of haricot beans instead, you could use cannellini as well.
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup butter - softened or margarine
- 1 egg - free range
- 1 can of drained and rinsed haricot beans - mashed ( I used my food processor)
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 cup plain flour
- 1 tsp bicarb
- 1 cup of dried fruit
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp ground cloves
- 1/2 tsp ground allspice
- 2 cups of diced apple without peel - eating apples
- Preheat your oven to 190 C, grease a round cake tin or bundt pan - 9-10 inch size
- Cream your butter / marg with the sugar, then add your egg and mix, now add the mashed beans and vanilla.
- Sift the flour, spices and bicarb in a bowl and then mix the apples and dried fruit, mix well to coat the fruit.
- Add to the wet mixture and pour into your prepared tin.
- Bake for approx 45 mins - 1 hour, until cooked.
- Allow to cool and then ice if desired.